Van's B.S. Board!  

Go Back   Van's B.S. Board! > Special B.S. > Polling Place

View Poll Results: Do you text while driving?
Yes 10 41.67%
No 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #76
kindnessfirst
. . . . . .

Default Re: Do you text while driving?

I remember that when my dad died in 1990, only a rare few had one of the clucker ones at that time. Thus, prior to the last 15 years or so, whatever did folks do?

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
~Maya Angelou
kindnessfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #77
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Get yourself a Bluetooth device and call them, or answer a call.
I couldn't have answered a call from Eric. He'd attempted to call earlier & all I could hear was static. And without a response, how would he have known I knew the details?
SilverXeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #78
kindnessfirst
. . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXeno View Post
I couldn't have answered a call from Eric. He'd attempted to call earlier & all I could hear was static. And without a response, how would he have known I knew the details?
You could always respond when you got home or wherever your destination was. He'd still get the text.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
~Maya Angelou
Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #79
Racenut
~~~~~~~~~~

Stunt Dirt Bike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindnessfirst View Post
You could always respond when you got home or wherever your destination was. He'd still get the text.
She's far too important to wait. Stop being difficult.
Racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #80
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindnessfirst View Post
I don't get a very good signal in my house. Sometimes I get one, sometimes I don't. Sometimes it cuts out in the garage...waiting for the signal to pop back up can take a while. I had no idea how long Eric would be where he could continue to receive a signal for his Afghani cell phone. That's why I sent the "k" immediately...so he knew the message was received. When I got home, before I pulled into the driveway I sent him the longer text. I have of knowing if it went through on his end.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #81
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Quote:
as people continue to go on about how awful, terrible, deadly, etc it is...I just feel like I should get a say in why I don't think it's so awful, terrible, deadly, etc.
because it IS awful, terrible, deadly and dangerous.
You think you are good at it. You think you are not distracted. You are the only one that seems to think you are good at it and that you are not distracted. I hope to hell that you do not get into an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStora
Dump #2 is well underway. Normally, from my apartment window
RelocatedWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #82
Orb
Safe camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatedWitness View Post
I hope to hell that you do not get into an accident.
There's that word again!!!!
Orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #83
kindnessfirst
. . . . . .

Quote:
There's that word again!!!!
YUP ,,, and, I am glad that I won't be the potential victim of her accident since I don't live in NY.

Yanno, folks talk about child endangerment. What are the rules when a parent obviously doesn't consider the implications of texting while driving?

~Maya Angelou
Old 08-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #84
CJSTora
Assholicious

Asteroids Champion Breakout Champion Moon Lander Champion Mini Racer Champion BMX Tricks Champion

I remember when I was young and knew everything, I had an argument with my mom. it was over the car. I can't remember exactly what we were arguing about, but I remember saying "MOM! I'm not planning on having any accidents, OKAY?!?!?" ...to which she replied "That's why they call them ACCIDENTS and not PLANNEDS" At which point I suddenly realized how stupid I was being.

If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
- Albert Einstein

I heart stem cell research
CJSTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #85
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

Well, MOM...thanks for the advice.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #86
Loki
Mischief Maker

Just came across this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	text.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	22787  
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #87
Racenut
~~~~~~~~~~

Stunt Dirt Bike Champion

Quote:
I don't get a very good signal in my house. Sometimes I get one, sometimes I don't. Sometimes it cuts out in the garage...waiting for the signal to pop back up can take a while. I had no idea how long Eric would be where he could continue to receive a signal for his Afghani cell phone. That's why I sent the "k" immediately...so he knew the message was received. When I got home, before I pulled into the driveway I sent him the longer text. I have of knowing if it went through on his end.
You're worse than my daughter about having an excuse/argument for everything.

Difference is she doesn't have a license to kill people yet.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #88
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

It's not an excuse OR an argument. People keep making suggestions of what I should have done differently...Which is all well & good except since each of these situations already occured...I can't exactly go back in time & take any of their suggestions. Unless there's a BS time machine no one told me about.

The moment my phone goes off I don't start working out various scenarios.

Am I in a safe place to glance at the screen (which I see as being about the same as glancing at the GPS or even into my mirrors, it's quick & about the same height, so my eyes don't look down)? Is it Eric? Is it my mom? Will I be stopping in the next few moments? If I'm on post...I'm driving 35 MPH max anywhere I go...and there are stop signs/lights all over the place. So I'm always slowing/stopping for them. I'm not doing freakin' cartwheels in the car...
Old 08-15-2010, 01:32 AM   #89
kindnessfirst
. . . . . .

Quote:
The moment my phone goes off I don't start working out various scenarios.

Am I in a safe place to glance at the screen (which I see as being about the same as glancing at the GPS or even into my mirrors, it's quick & about the same height, so my eyes don't look down)? Is it Eric? Is it my mom? Will I be stopping in the next few moments? If I'm on post...I'm driving 35 MPH max anywhere I go...and there are stop signs/lights all over the place. So I'm always slowing/stopping for them. I'm not doing freakin' cartwheels in the car...
So turn your phone off! Then you won't have to struggle with your inability to make sane/SAFE choices.

~Maya Angelou
Old 08-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #90
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

That would be absolutely possible if my husband were home. I'm just not willing to do it while he's gone.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #91
Racenut
~~~~~~~~~~

Stunt Dirt Bike Champion

Ride the fucking bus then.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:54 AM   #92
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
I don't know[how long it takes me to realise I should be paying attention]...I started paying attention to the road...not the time.
You don't know because you have no way of knowing. For all you know, you may have had several near-misses and never realised. But you can't possibly know that you didn't realised, precisely because you didn't realise.

My wife is an excellent driver and has never caused an accident. She has been in an accident that wasn't her fault, but her split-second reactions meant the difference between a five-month battle with the car insurance company and a five-month battle with the car insurance and the health insurance. She would never, ever text at the wheel, and that is one of the things that made her a good driver.

Once, a dog ran in front of the car without warning -- broke free and ran right out into the road before our very eyes. My wife saw the dog even before the dog's owner realised what was going on. Had she had anything in her hand, or her eyes anywhere but on the road at that point, had she reacted a quarter of a second later than she did, that dog would be dead. And it could so easily have been a child.

Quote:
I 'get it'. I'm just not going to stop doing it.
This has to be the single most awful thing I have read on this or any other board. You understand that your actions are putting lives at risk, but that doesn't stop you? If you had simply refused to believe what we were saying, if you had insisted that there was no risk, I'd have put you down as just stupid.

But this goes beyond stupid. You know texting at the wheel could kill somebody but you don't care?

If you need to read or send a text message, you pull over and stop. If that means leaving the highway, you leave the highway. It if means a five minute delay or even a half-hour delay before he knows you got his message, so be it. You would never live with yourself if you killed somebody because you couldn't bear for your husband to go minutes at a time not knowing if you got his message or not. Why risk that? Why deliberately risk it?

Or let's put it a different way. Suppose one of your children was killed by somebody else because they were texting while driving. And suppose that other person said to you, "My husband's in Iraq, so I had to read his text the second it came through."

Seriously, what kind of priorities do you have? You are a danger to yourself and to other road users, and the thing is, you say you know that but you refuse to make yourself less of a danger. That is horrific, and it sickens me to know that this is how you feel.
Carolyn: Have you tried to solve it?
Martin: No.
Carolyn: Then you don't know if you can solve it, do you?
Martin: There's a civil war in Mali, so Timbuktu's closed to all air traffic.
Carolyn: Right, so you can't solve it. Douglas, can you solve it?

Cabin Pressure: Timbuktu

Website | Blog | Twitter | YouTube | Google+
rewboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #93
Orb
Safe camp

Quote:
Am I in a safe place to glance at the screen (which I see as being about the same as glancing at the GPS or even into my mirrors, it's quick & about the same height, so my eyes don't look down)?
Looking in your mirrors is an integral part of driving a car. I would be worried if you didn't look at your mirrors.

I own a GPS which I rarely use. When in use, it is stuck to my windshield close enough to my line of sight but not intruding on it. If you are not reprogramming it on the fly while driving, the GPS should not be a distraction since it also does not, or should not, distract you from the act of driving. A GPS unit is much like a heads-up display in its function and can be safely integrated in your driving habits, as long as it is not used as a monitor where you constantly track your progress on the road!!!

Texting, on the other hand, pulls you away from your concentration as a driver and you become a passenger with a wheel in your hands. The fact that you have not yet been in an accident is only because you were never yet in a situation where your reaction time was critical.

An airplane pilot once told me that he was amazed at how many people do not realize the potential of danger cars represent and only rely on automatic response from their driving habits rather than being conscious of every moment of their ride. He considers the car far more dangerous than flying and the only false reassurance we tend to rely on is the fact that a car won't fall from the sky.
Orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #94
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Quote:
If you are not reprogramming it on the fly while driving,
My in-dash GPS has most of the programming disabled while the car is moving.

Like I said before about my work GPS. The window holder is broken thanks to dumbass Chuck. Now I have to hold it and it is a pain in the ass and a distraction. I use the turn list option and see my next one or two turns so I don't have to really look at it as much.

Quote:
Old 08-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #95
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
I use the turn list option and see my next one or two turns so I don't have to really look at it as much.
You need GPS to get you as quickly as possible from A to B because in your line of work, every second may count, am I right? And you do everything you can to keep your eyes on the road as much as possible, yes?

Tell me, because I am interested: what kind of training do you need to be able to drive an emergency vehicle? And how strictly are standards enforced? How good a driver do you have to be?

Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #96
JoJoJoey
yada yada yada

I don't know why you guys are bothering to argue with SX anymore.

She is clearly far more superior than any of us and does not care that her stupidity and selfishness may someday seriously harm or kill her, her children or other innocent people. She is far far too important to respect the machine she is operating and the other drivers on the road. She clearly knows everything and is always right about everything and she will just keep making excuses for her irresponsible behavior and shame on us for not accepting them as truth. You should all just be grateful that you don't live anywhere near her and it's one less person you have to worry about killing you while they are texting and driving.

I'm sure she watched that video and told herself that since she isn't a teenager and only does one letter responses that she could or would never cause an accident. I'm sure that when she heard that little girl say, "mommy, daddy wake up!" she didn't get a lump in her throat and tears in her eyes and realize that that could be her child.

Remember what her first response was in this thread:
Yep! I am probably a better driver distracted than many folks are paying full attention! See, she'll never cause an accident!
JoJoJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #97
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
You need GPS to get you as quickly as possible from A to B because in your line of work, every second may count, am I right? And you do everything you can to keep your eyes on the road as much as possible, yes?

Tell me, because I am interested: what kind of training do you need to be able to drive an emergency vehicle? And how strictly are standards enforced? How good a driver do you have to be?
As of yet I have not needed to use the GPS to get me to an ER in a hurry. I really don't think I would want to use the GSP in an emergency situation because there is SO much to watch for and it would be too dangerous to listen and look at the GPS.

There have been a few times when we are going to a nursing home in Cleveland for an ER call and who ever wasn't driving set the GPS to our destination. And I have used the turn list option and wrote down the directions but ended up remembering them without having to look at anything.

As far as training:
To be part of an ambulance crew in Ohio you have to have a minimum of a clean drivers license. (most won't hire you over 4 points) A valid CPR card and a valid EMT card. (national and/or Ohio) The law states there must be no less the two EMT's on board to transport anyone.

To drive it is just usually knowing company policy and state law. But the one huge thing that governs my driving is driving with Due regard.

I do not like to drive with the lights on at all! It is so dangerous. I have to watch for everyone and try and think what they might do.

I don't have to stop for red lights. Company policy tells me to slow down at red lights. My first EMT job had a company policy to STOP at all red lights. If I enter an intersection on a red going very slow and get hit, It could be determined that I was entering the intersection with due regard and the other person is at fault for not yielding to me. Enter the intersection on red going 40 mph and hit someone, no due regard there and I lose everything. Not to mention what ever the other person decides to do in a law suit.

I come to a four way intersection and I have the red and I can clearly see in all direction and there isn't anyone, I can go though without stopping. Come to a HUGE four way intersection on a red and you bet your ass im going to stop. I have stopped at a busy four way when I had a the green becuase NO ONE WAS STOPPING OR YEALING TO MY LIGHTS.

I have to pass on the left, even if that means going left of the center line. If I come to an active school zone I have to go 20 mph though the school zone.
I can not pass a school bus if they have their yellow or red flashing lights on. I can approach the bus and must wait for the driver to wave me to pass.

As far as speed. Some think the law says we can have 10mph over the limit. In Ohio there isn't a law that tells us our speed. Most people stay within the 10mph over the limit just to be safe. But there are times when you just can't do over the limit. Im not going to go 50mph in a 25mph residential neighborhood. I have done 70mph on a near empty stretch of 65mph highway.

Quote:
Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #98
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoJoey View Post
Yep! I am probably a better driver distracted than many folks are paying full attention!
I hope she doesn't say the same thing about drinking and driving.

Quote:
Old 08-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #99
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoJoey View Post
I'm sure that when she heard that little girl say, "mommy, daddy wake up!" she didn't get a lump in her throat and tears in her eyes and realize that that could be her child.
To be honest, I don't think that was the most important part of that video. I think the important part is that the whole thing started when the car drifted just slightly over the centre line -- not enough for the driver to notice with her eyes on her phone instead of the road, but enough to clip the other car and cause an accident with at least two fatalities and probably as many as four. Because it's that easy.

Quote:
Remember what her first response was in this thread:
Yep! I am probably a better driver distracted than many folks are paying full attention! See, she'll never cause an accident!
And I can guarantee that every single person who caused an accident because they were texting at the wheel thought exactly the same about themselves, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

Quote:
Come to a HUGE four way intersection on a red and you bet your ass im going to stop. I have stopped at a busy four way when I had a the green becuase NO ONE WAS STOPPING OR YEALING TO MY LIGHTS. [...] Most people stay within the 10mph over the limit just to be safe.
So, as a driver with years of experience and a clean licence, who doesn't go much further over the speed limit than many people already do when they think they won't get caught, who even with lights flashing and sirens wailing will stop at intersections, you still wouldn't even dare risk a glance at your phone to read a text message? Even if you were driving normally?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #100
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
So, as a driver with years of experience and a clean licence, who doesn't go much further over the speed limit than many people already do when they think they won't get caught, who even with lights flashing and sirens wailing will stop at intersections, you still wouldn't even dare risk a glance at your phone to read a text message? Even if you were driving normally?
On the job? If im just driving along on an open road that doesn't have a lot of traffic and my cell goes off, I sometimes glance to see who called. (sometimes work calls my cell phone becuase the work phone might not have a signal and they can't get a hold of us on the work phone) Not read text but see who called. If there is any traffic and I have to make some turns or with a patient to the ER, the phone stays in the pocket. If im heading to an ER, doesn't matter to me if it is a MAJOR emergency or a minor thing I do not look at my phone. Tending to my person cell phone on the job takes away my due reguard.

Just me in my personal vehicle. I use to use my phone to read and answer some text messages. If I reply to a text it was usually just a "K" response or "ILU". But I know in my own car it isn't a smart idea and rather stupid and have second thoughts about it after I got rear ended by someone on the phone. I have read a text, looked up and found that im left of center. Not counting what can happen to me or someone else if I crash, I could lose my job. Being stupid off the job can still affect my job. If I get a DUI I would have a non driving position. And the company only has so many non driving positions open. If there isn't one open, im SOL.

Quote:

Last edited by RelocatedWitness; 08-15-2010 at 01:03 PM.