Van's B.S. Board!  

Go Back   Van's B.S. Board! > Special B.S. > Polling Place

View Poll Results: Do you text while driving?
Yes 10 41.67%
No 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #26
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion
Default Re: Do you text while driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
How on earth did we survive before the age of the cellphone?
Well, for military wives...it was very lonely!
SilverXeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #27
PeachyCream
The Angelic Bitch

Mansion Impossible Champion

I do it and I know its stupid. I will not make excuses. I do try and limit my responses until when I'm stopped, but admit I've driven with my knee in order to send a message.
PeachyCream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #28
Racenut
~~~~~~~~~~

Stunt Dirt Bike Champion

http://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accid...tatistics.html
Racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #29
kindnessfirst
. . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXeno View Post
Well, for military wives...it was very lonely!
... and for their husbands!

They wrote letters, back in the day. I have amazing letters my Grandfather wrote his wife back in WW1. They are awesome letters filled with love and longing. And they live on, unlike a cell phone conversation.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
~Maya Angelou
kindnessfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #30
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

Eric and I have some letters...He saved all of mine...but I misplaced some of his.

Most of the letters I send now (through Hooahmail, I don't write them myself) are to the point. "When you get back to the US, please remember you don't have txt mssging on your cell...Please use sparingly."
Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #31
kindnessfirst
. . . . . .

Quote:
Eric and I have some letters...He saved all of mine...but I misplaced some of his.

Most of the letters I send now (through Hooahmail, I don't write them myself) are to the point. "When you get back to the US, please remember you don't have txt mssging on your cell...Please use sparingly."
Try surprising Eric with a homegrown, handwritten letter. Write it yourself. Tell him what's goin on in your world, then send him a sexy message of how you plan to show him how much you have missed him once he comes home. I guarantee, he will carry that letter in his wallet and read it over and over again.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
~Maya Angelou
Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #32
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

A hand-written letter takes 15 days to get to him...and he says he can't read my writing. Hooah mail is a printed out version of my letter.

Except for Hooah & the odd times he is able to call me, I don't have any other ways to get in touch with him.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #33
kindnessfirst
. . . . . .

Quote:
A hand-written letter takes 15 days to get to him...and he says he can't read my writing. Hooah mail is a printed out version of my letter.

Except for Hooah & the odd times he is able to call me, I don't have any other ways to get in touch with him.
He can't touch YOU via the letter if it's Hooah. He can smell your scent on the letter that you write. He can know you took the time and effort to write it.

So what if it takes 15 days? He will hold that letter close to his heart all the time he is away from you! Print your message if you need to, so he can read your message. Just do it!

~Maya Angelou

Last edited by kindnessfirst; 08-04-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:46 AM   #34
Drew
B.S.'er

The problem with driving while distracted -- which I do with embarrassing frequency -- is that probability will eventually catch up with you. A car spun out in front of me once, bounced off the concrete barrier and back into my front end. I was able to avoid serious damage but if my eyes weren't on the road -- reading a text on my phone or whatever -- the impact would probably have been a lot worse. At some point something unexpected will end up in the path of your car. Will you see it quickly enough?
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #35
kindnessfirst
. . . . . .

I agree, Drew. ... with the exception that I don't drive distracted. I save my texting and calls for when I'm not driving.

~Maya Angelou
Old 08-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #36
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
Something that pisses me off (and Mike does it ALL the time) are the hand held GPS users. I'm sorry but does it make a lot of sense to be so intent on figuring out your next turn that you get in an accident and never make it to your intended destination anyway? Figure out your route beforehand, asshole. And if you get lost and need to find your way again, fine... PULL OVER!!!
For my work GPS thingy there use to be a suction cup thingy to hold the unit to the window. My dumb ass partner couldn't get the suction thing off the window so he shoved a pocket knife under the cup and put a nick in and it won't hold its suck. So now I have to hold it and it annoys me to no end! I think holding a GPS is just as dangerous as texting or talking on a cell phone.
This unit has a turn list option. If I know the roads pretty good, I will check the turn list and try and remember the first two or three turns.

I was thinking to myself one time that I hope I don't get into an accident while looking at the GPS. Well, the accident happened and I had the GPS in my hand. Only I was at a red light and I didn't do the hitting. She was on her cell phone tho.

I don't text while I drive at work. I limit my talking on the phone at work. I will listen to a voice mail from Franky or my husband. On a great occasion I will take a call from them but that is rare.

I do/did text while I drive but that is few and far inbetween and has stopped. I will text Franky when I leave work. Sometimes she will text back and ask to go to Jamie's. I will text back with "K".

BUT! Since I got into an accident by a lady on a cell phone, I don't use my phone while I drive anymore.

I saw her on her phone when she hit. As I was calling 911 and opened her door I saw that she was pregnant and had two toddlers in the back. I have no idea if her unborn baby was affected by the crash and im very sure this wouldn't have happened if she would have put her phone down and not used it in the car. Not a day goes by that I don't think of that lady and her babies. (two in back were fine)

Im on the road all the time and I see so many on the phone talking and texting and just want to reach out and smack them. They are distracted drivers and are dangerous! PERIOD!

I have had people on the highway going 75 mph come into my lane because they were texting while driving. I had a low blood sugar of 21 last week. I was running hot trying to get his ass to the hospital and two people talking on their phone had no idea I was coming up on them because they were talking on their phone.

It is so fucking dangerous running hot! People don't see or hear me. People don't want to get out of my way. They will speed up and make their left before me so they don't have to stop. I run red lights and stop signs. (after slowing down to a few mph or coming to a stop if it is a larger and over crowded intersection.) Not only to have I have pay attention to my partner and patient in the back, I have to watch all the drivers and try and figure out if they see me and are they going to yield or not.

The drivers that are a problem for me are almost ALWAY on their phone or they are the punk looking teens in beat up cars.

Just a little PSA: If you have police or fire running hot near you, move to the right, pull over and put your hazard lights on. That way the one driving will spot that and know that YOU see them and they can go around or pass you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStora
Dump #2 is well underway. Normally, from my apartment window
RelocatedWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #37
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatedWitness View Post
It is so fucking dangerous running hot! People don't see or hear me. People don't want to get out of my way. They will speed up and make their left before me so they don't have to stop.
I've never really understood the mentality of drivers who do this. What do they think all those flashing lights and sirens are for? Christmas decorations?

Or people who park in emergency access roads. I suppose every country has them: Germany does, with signs saying "Fire access route, no parking", next to every hotel and tower block, as well as hospitals, schools, railway stations, you name it. Park in one of those and obstruct the emergency services, and you get more than just a parking ticket.
Carolyn: Have you tried to solve it?
Martin: No.
Carolyn: Then you don't know if you can solve it, do you?
Martin: There's a civil war in Mali, so Timbuktu's closed to all air traffic.
Carolyn: Right, so you can't solve it. Douglas, can you solve it?

Cabin Pressure: Timbuktu

Website | Blog | Twitter | YouTube | Google+
rewboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #38
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

I've had my windows up & radio on...not even very loud...but it was enough to drown out the sounds of an emergency vehicle. I only realized it was there when I glanced in my mirror. Luckily I was still far away enough that I didn't look like a douchehole & pulled off in enough time to let them pass.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #39
Orb
Safe camp

Public announcements that contain shock images are rarely effective because the images tend to look too staged and the words and voice-overs are too moralizing, The opposite effect is achieved.

In this video, published, I believe, a year ago, the graphic images work. No voice-overs, no tag lines, just what actually can happen.

Apart from drunk driving, I think texting while driving is the lamest and most dangerous thing someone could do. Hmmmmm, come to think of it, even when driving under the influence, those drivers try to keep your eyes on the road.

Orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #40
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Quote:
Or people who park in emergency access roads.
One nursing home in Cleveland has two parking spots near the door with a sign that says, "Ambulance parking only." This is a psychiatric home and they want us at the door because a lot of times we come out with them fighting. We want them in the ambulance so they don't get off the cot and start to run.

Anyhow. A UPS truck was backed in and took up both spots. I pulled up along the front of him sideways just so he couldn't get out.

Went in and had some convincing to do to get the patient to go with us. We were inside maybe 40 minutes. Come outside to find a really pissed off UPS guy asking me "why the fuck did you block me in?" I smacked the sign and said, " This is MY parking spot and im on an Emergency call."

He wasn't too happy either when it took us about 5 more minutes to finally leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStora
Dump #2 is well underway. Normally, from my apartment window
RelocatedWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #41
The Flirt
Pride & Joy, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatedWitness View Post
I smacked the sign and said, " This is MY parking spot and im on an Emergency call."
You go, Relo!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #42
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

I hate when people compare drunk driving & texting while driving...While I agree it's NOT the smartest thing I could be doing...I can easily drop the phone & start paying attention. You can't decide being drunk is dangerous & turn it off.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #43
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
I can easily drop the phone & start paying attention.
It can take you several seconds to realise that it's time to start paying attention. Even if it takes you less than one second, it can still be too late. There are plenty of things that can distract you without you deliberately finding more. You do not take your eyes off the road for one second if you do not absolutely have to.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #44
The Flirt
Pride & Joy, etc.

Quote:
It can take you several seconds to realise that it's time to start paying attention. Even if it takes you less than one second, it can still be too late. There are plenty of things that can distract you without you deliberately finding more. You do not take your eyes off the road for one second if you do not absolutely have to.
And being drunk is a distraction itself that you cannot suddenly discontinue, which was her point.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #45
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flirt View Post
And being drunk is a distraction itself that you cannot suddenly discontinue, which was her point.
And my point is that it doesn't make a jot of difference, because you won't have time to "suddenly discontinue".

Old 08-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #46
The Flirt
Pride & Joy, etc.

Quote:
And my point is that it doesn't make a jot of difference, because you won't have time to "suddenly discontinue".
Are you saying texting while driving is worse than drunk driving then?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #47
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

I've never driven drunk...so I don't actually know what the limitations would be...BUT, I have suddenly dropped my cell when I realize traffic is getting sticky, or the roadway has more going on than I realized. And it was literally a blink of an eye that got my focus back to the road. And since I text with my cell up high...so I can see out the window...It wasn't even really a sudden realization, but more of a, "Alright, the road is more important, let me pay attention."
Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #48
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flirt View Post
Are you saying texting while driving is worse than drunk driving then?
No, that was Orb's train of thought. I'm saying there's no difference.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #49
The Flirt
Pride & Joy, etc.

Quote:
No, that was Orb's train of thought. I'm saying there's no difference.
I think there's a huge difference. A lot more fatal crashes are caused by drunk driving than texting at the wheel.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #50
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
I have suddenly dropped my cell when I realize traffic is getting sticky, or the roadway has more going on than I realized.
How long did it take you to realise that? You would like to stake your life, not to mention the lives of other road users, on it being less than a quarter of a second?