Van's B.S. Board!  

Go Back   Van's B.S. Board! > Special B.S. > Polling Place

View Poll Results: Do you text while driving?
Yes 10 41.67%
No 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
JoJoJoey
yada yada yada

Default Do you text while driving?

Well, do you? There are no options like sometimes, only when I'm at stoplights, etc. You either do or you don't.

Please explain why you do it.

Here's my opinion on it - if you do it, you are a moron of the highest caliber. You are putting my life and yours in danger by you not paying attention to the road. And if you do it while you are driving with your kids in the car you obviously don't care about your kids' safety. There can't be any message or communication that important that you can't pull over.

Massachusetts just passed laws against this that take effect on September 1. I don't think they are strict enough. It's only a $100 fine. No points on licenses, no suspension of license for multiple violations. But the one good thing they did add to the law is they can pull you over for it as a primary reason, meaning you don't have to be speeding, etc. and then they discover you are texting so there's the fine. You will also be ticketed if you are sitting at a stoplight and texting.
JoJoJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion
Default Re: Do you text while driving?

Yep! I am probably a better driver distracted than many folks are paying full attention!

I do try and wait to SEND messages when I'm stopped...but I read them while driving. I hold the phone up near the windshield. I don't even have to look away from the road.

I think it's way more dangerous to go digging through my purse for my damn I.D. to get on post than texting. I've driven onto the shoulder trying to find the stupid I.D. I've also driven onto the shoulder when my kids are misbehaving or I'm trying to resolve some backseat conflict...but not once while dealing with my cell phone!
SilverXeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Minnie
B.S. Veteran

I don't text at all, but even if I did, I would never do it while driving.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Strangely Brown
Resident Comic Book Geek

I don't text.

However, I do type away on my laptop while driving.

OK, that's not true.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
The Flirt
Pride & Joy, etc.

Only at stoplights or stop signs or just before backing out of a parking spot.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXeno View Post
Yep! I am probably a better driver distracted than many folks are paying full attention!
Oh, the number of variations I've heard on this theme, right up to the point when they drive into the back of a truck.
Carolyn: Have you tried to solve it?
Martin: No.
Carolyn: Then you don't know if you can solve it, do you?
Martin: There's a civil war in Mali, so Timbuktu's closed to all air traffic.
Carolyn: Right, so you can't solve it. Douglas, can you solve it?

Cabin Pressure: Timbuktu

Website | Blog | Twitter | YouTube | Google+
rewboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

Which I've never done! ...But my husband...without distraction whatsoever has done 3 times. He even backed into someone in a parking lot as he was WATCHING THEM drive behind him!

Obviously if I am in busy traffic, I'm focused on the road. There are a lot of country roads up here...If I need both hands to drive, obviously I'm not texting...but I will certainly slide my phone open & read the text if I think it might impact what I'm doing. I hold the phone up near where my GPS is. Is reading my GPS any less distracting? I figure it's about the same.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
megabucks
B.S. Veteran

I've done it, BUT only when I was in a long line of traffic at a red light or sitting on the highway in bumper to bump traffic that isn't moving. I'd never text while moving, no.
megabucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
Racenut
~~~~~~~~~~

Stunt Dirt Bike Champion

Quote:
You suck so bad at driving that when you become oblivious to what you're doing, you get better at it? That's awesome!
Racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
karmeg
Cornhusker

I don't text in the car at all unless someone else is driving. I do talk on my phone while driving.

I see people texting at lights and stops all the time... they can still be dangerous in my opinion. Last week, I saw a girl texting at a light, and a semi was turning the corner. She was clueless that he needed her to back up so he could make it (nothing was behind her and it was actually HER that made it impossible for the truck to get by because she was way past the crosswalk). I actually had to honk my horn to get her to look at me so I could wave her back a few feet. Another really common thing that I see is people texting at lights and then sitting there after the light turns green.

I do agree that texting isn't the only distraction. I think that people need to let their kids fuss or whatever and not turn around to look at them either, when they can just use the mirror(s). There's also eating, using maps, applying makeup, using computers, and my favorite - reading a book! People are crazy.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Oz
Bummed Out Girl Scout

No, I don't text and drive.

I do talk on my cell occasionally while I am driving if it happens to be in easy reach when it rings. But I won't dig or scramble for my phone if someone calls while I'm driving. My voice mail says "If I am not answering it's either because my battery is dead or I'm driving. I'll call you back." Most of my friends and family have at one time or another been interrupted mid-sentence with "Hang on, I have to make a left here" or "Wait, I have to lane change".

Even my kids will immediately shut up (even in the middle of a fight) when I say "Ok, it's rush hour and this is a busy intersection."

Something that pisses me off (and Mike does it ALL the time) are the hand held GPS users. I'm sorry but does it make a lot of sense to be so intent on figuring out your next turn that you get in an accident and never make it to your intended destination anyway? Figure out your route beforehand, asshole. And if you get lost and need to find your way again, fine... PULL OVER!!!
These are the halls of the dead where spiders spin and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.
Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Sarahg
IRL

I voted.
Look on my arm, mine would be you

Last edited by Sarahg; 08-04-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Sarahg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
Is reading my GPS any less distracting? I figure it's about the same.
In once case near here, some idiot was concentrating so much on his GPS he ended up in the middle of a traffic circle that had been built since he'd last updated the software.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
mobilflirt
arrogant asshole

I don't text. I use a pre-paid phone and a 1 minute conversation would probably take 6 texts back and forth that would cost me 3 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flirt View Post
Damn, James, you must be good in bed
mobilflirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
In once case near here, some idiot was concentrating so much on his GPS he ended up in the middle of a traffic circle that had been built since he'd last updated the software.
Umm...I *do* pay more attention than THAT.

I usually check out my route online before I go somewhere brand new. Then I will program it into the GPS while I sit in the driveway waiting for the garage door to close (I'm paranoid about my door...once or twice it has not closed by accident b/c something like a PEBBLE was in the way...and since there are people on the loop that don't like me, I worry about vandalism). Most of the driving up here is "next left in 7 miles". And I have driven past something a time or two b/c I wasn't for sure where I was supposed to be...but I don't just U-turn in the middle of the road. I find somewhere to turn around, like a parking lot or business.

My GPS is on the window, just under my rear-view mirror...

I can't see either of my kids in the backseat unless I turn around. Jocelynn sits directly behind me. Anicah sits behind the passenger...but the seat is tall enough that it blocks the view to her face in the mirror.

I have been driving for about the length of time I've had a cellphone. I didn't own my own until I was 18...but I did have my mom's cell with me when I was younger than that. So...I pretty much haven't experienced driving without a cell. And in 12 years...I've never caused an accident. Other people have hit ME b/c of their inattention...

And I'm always careful to leave space between my vehicle & the vehicle in front of me. I stop behind the white line...and I keep my cell phone UP...so that I can watch the lights...so I'm not holding up traffic.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
Loki
Mischief Maker

I think there's a world of difference between talking on the phone and typing on the phone while driving. If you're typing, your hands aren't on the wheel, plus you're paying attention to a tiny screen and little buttons instead of the traffic around you.

Anyway, I voted no because although I occasionally text or email in the car, the car isn't in motion. I'll do it at a stop light only when it's just turned red and I know I'll have more than 10 seconds to type.

I think that GPS's that you have to look at to see where you're going WHILE you're operating your vehicle are just as bad as someone typing. You're looking at something other than the road and the traffic around you.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

My GPS talks...but I look at it to double check where I am...and where I should be (like the street name or whatever).
Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
darth meowth
Prince of Cats

Simon Champion Pacman Champion Cone Crazy 2 Champion Surf's Up Champion Tennis Challenge Champion
Home Run Champion Girl Power Champion

Hell, I post on this board while driving. Its fairly easy with a web enabled phone. You just have to keep one eye on the board and one eye on the road. Sometimes its, hey what is that in front o adsfaefewawesfaewfewafewafewfeewafweafe..................................
Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #19
kindnessfirst
. . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth meowth View Post
Hell, I post on this board while driving. Its fairly easy with a web enabled phone. You just have to keep one eye on the board and one eye on the road. Sometimes its, hey what is that in front o adsfaefewawesfaewfewafewafewfeewafweafe..................................
If you were a better driver, like SX, you wouldn't have any problems at all!

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
~Maya Angelou
kindnessfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #20
CJSTora
Assholicious

Asteroids Champion Breakout Champion Moon Lander Champion Mini Racer Champion BMX Tricks Champion

Hard to text when my phone is turned off. I don't use the cell phone either. If I need to make a call that badly, I'll park. And if someone's calling me, well that's what voice mail was invented for.

If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
- Albert Einstein

I heart stem cell research
CJSTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #21
SilverXeno
Klaatu barada nikto.

Hexxagon Champion

I am really attached to my phone now...B/c of the possibility that my husband tries to get in touch.

In July...I had 3 weeks between phone calls...and since that last call it's been 10 days. I don't think I have turned off my phone since January (minus the shut off/turn back on immediately to see if I can get better reception).
Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #22
Hunter
hotdog fingers

Only when I'm drunk!
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #23
The Flirt
Pride & Joy, etc.

Quote:
I am really attached to my phone now...B/c of the possibility that my husband tries to get in touch.
My attachment started when Mom got sick. Since I lived and worked 45 minutes away, I always made sure to have it with me in case I had to rush to get to her. The attachment continues, too, it's like I'm so used to having it with me that if I go somewhere where I put my purse in another room, I put my phone on vibrate in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Only when I'm drunk!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #24
JWSahara
B.S. Veteran

I have......but is ok for ME!
JWSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #25
rewboss
Elite Moderator

How on earth did we survive before the age of the cellphone? How did I even survive my childhood? Or my adolescence?