Van's B.S. Board!  

Go Back   Van's B.S. Board! > Special B.S. > Question of the Week

Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #76
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Default Re: QOTW: Obamacare! Good or Bad?

Well, the conspiracy theory is that drugs companies have a vested interest in making sure that disease is not actually cured -- as one of the baddies in Doctor Who put it, "Why sell a single cure when I can sell a hundred palliatives?"

But I don't think that nationalising the healthcare system would fix that problem, if it exists. It's only the part that administers the drugs which would be handled by government agencies, not research and development.

What I would like to see the end of, though, is the peculiarly American phenomenon where prescription drugs are freely advertised, with consumers being urged to try to persuade doctors to prescribe them, and doctors being given incentives for doing so.
Carolyn: Have you tried to solve it?
Martin: No.
Carolyn: Then you don't know if you can solve it, do you?
Martin: There's a civil war in Mali, so Timbuktu's closed to all air traffic.
Carolyn: Right, so you can't solve it. Douglas, can you solve it?

Cabin Pressure: Timbuktu

Website | Blog | Twitter | YouTube | Google+
rewboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #77
GrAfFiX2
~Szexi Szuka~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
I'm not surprised cancer hasn't been cured considering the cost of drugs and treatment. I'm sure some folks are paying a pretty penny to make sure those treatments never have to go away.
DCA cures cancer and is cheap. oh canada
The problem is that it is so simple, no one could patent the drugs to make any money off it.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #78
GrAfFiX2
~Szexi Szuka~

Rew, now they want to make those prescription meds over the counter.

Why is America so unhealthy? Is it because we are lazy and dumb. We just eat and drink whatever we want? Could it be that they are feeding us toxic waste, and taking vitamins and minerals out of everything? Something is very wrong with America and it people.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #79
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAfFiX2 View Post
DCA cures cancer and is cheap. oh canada
DCA is being tested, and so far there is no evidence that it cures cancer. The press, as usual, has taken a fairly routine and unspectacular report and sexed it up.

DCA is a drug that could be used to treat certain rare metabolic diseases (but not cancer). It has many side effects, but one surprising side effect is that when given to rats with cancerous tumours, the tumours' rate of growth slowed down. There is no evidence, though, that it can completely stop or destroy the tumours.

Very limited trials have been taking place on human cancer patients in order to establish the safe dosage for them. Note: this is not research into whether it can cure cancer, it is research into how much of the drug is safe to give somebody with cancer as well as the condition DCA is designed to treat.

In the Canadian study, five cancer patients received DCA in addition to surgery, radiotherapy and temozolomide. Four patients are still alive, and in three of them the tumours reduced in size, but it's impossible to know whether that's from the DCA or from the conventional treatments the patients were already receiving. The study was too small-scale to deliver any reliable results, but appears to indicate that there are no special problems giving the drug to cancer patients.

At this stage, all that is known about DCA is that it somehow switches cells' mitochondria back on. Nobody yet knows how it does this, or whether this is sufficient to cure cancer. It is very interesting, and further studies are being carried out; but because DCA also has very serious side effects, particularly damage to the nervous system, it can't be given in high doses (in one study, all 15 patients given the drug had to be taken off it again because it was starting to damage their nervous systems).

This was reported by Cancer Research UK, which is funded entirely by charitable donations from the public, and so isn't in thrall either to the government, or to the pharmaceutical industry.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #80
GrAfFiX2
~Szexi Szuka~

And a side effect of gmo foods is that it grows hair In the mouth of rats. hairy mouth rats

Its is to the point where i dont believe a damn thing that any "research" says, until there is 3-4 sources. Not paid for by pharmaceutical companys. I asked a immunologist about DCA, and he said "it sounds like they found the silver bullet to cancer". I would rather die of nontreatment than chemo shutting down my liver or kidneys. They always say they died of cance, rather than organ failure. Ill take my chances with DCA, vitamins, and minerals.

TPTB dont want to cure cancer, just like they dont want free energy. They want to bill for everything. Carbon tax is a tax on breathing. Good luck to anyone dependant on the government.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #81
rewboss
Elite Moderator

So, you believe sensationalist press reports and one overexcited immunologist (who knows a lot about autoimmune diseases and transplant rejection, but almost nothing about oncology), but you won't believe the results of several clinical trials?

Also, did I forget to mention that Cancer Research UK is not funded by pharmaceutical companies?

And did I also forget to mention that there is ongoing research into DCA as a cancer treatment, it's just that so far there's not enough evidence to support the claims?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #82
GrAfFiX2
~Szexi Szuka~

That over excited immunologist really doesnt get excited, but he did bring you h1n1. If i could find results of DCA trials, i would read them. So far it seems like they have only begun them. UCLA, Florida, no results.

So if they have had this idea that dca flips the switch on the cancer cell, allowing it to turn off immortality for the cancer. Why has it taken since 2007/2008 to get this into trials, to get results. Cancer patients have be doing the trials on themselves, so there is plenty of volunteers. Is there not interest or money, or not interest in cures.

The fda is a joke. They arrested people for selling raw milk in a co-op. Rawsome foods in c.a. fda approves drugs that i later see on goldwater commercials. "Have you or a loved one been injured take paxil? We can get you money, call now!" What a fucking joke.

There will never be a pharmaceutical cure for cancer, 200 treatments, but no cure. Monsanto can engineer corn to produce pesticides. GMO foods that sterilize rats in 3 generations. Hair growing on the inside of their body. Cancer rates at an all time high, of course you will never hear of a cure. Thats just good business. Good luck, people of earth.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #83
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Quote:
So if they have had this idea that dca flips the switch on the cancer cell, allowing it to turn off immortality for the cancer. Why has it taken since 2007/2008 to get this into trials, to get results.
They have seen that in animals with cancer, DCA appears to slow the growth of tumours. They're not sure how it's doing this, but they think they have a fairly good idea. But there is no evidence yet that this will cure cancer.

Quote:
Cancer patients have be doing the trials on themselves, so there is plenty of volunteers. Is there not interest or money, or not interest in cures.
You can't just round up some volunteers and pump them full of a drug you think might work. Clinical trials are very risky and are subject to very, very strict safety guidelines. Even those that do conform to those regulations can result in subjects either dying (sometimes in agony) or suffering very distressing permanent conditions. Like having their nerves killed off.

Quote:
fda approves drugs that i later see on goldwater commercials. "Have you or a loved one been injured take paxil? We can get you money, call now!" What a fucking joke.
All drugs have possible side-effects and risks. The FDA approves drugs it thinks present a risk that is small enough to be tolerated. But if somebody is "injured" by a drug, it may not be the drug itself that's the problem. They may have been misdiagnosed, or their doctor may not have been careful enough when prescribing it, or they may have had some other undiagnosed condition that interfered with the drug, or they may not have taken the prescribed dose... the list is endless. And citing ambulance-chasing law firms as proof that the FDA is incompetent is not the best argument you could have used.

Quote:
Cancer rates at an all time high, of course you will never hear of a cure.
On the contrary, we hear about cures all the time. So far, all of them have turned out to be stories distorted in a way designed to sell newspapers. Cancer Research, which, I remind you, is not funded either by industry or by government, keeps having to issue press releases telling people not to get too excited, a cure is still a long way off.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #84
GrAfFiX2
~Szexi Szuka~

And the FDA approved HPV vaccine they were pushing it on little girls? Women died in the trials, India stopped, America was pushing to get all girls vaccinated, and Mexico wants to vaccinate boys. Vaccines causing deaths! I guess if your lucky, it will just make you sterile. Obama care will cover it and probably make it mandatory.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #85
GrAfFiX2
~Szexi Szuka~

Autism?? 1 in 88? 1 in 29? When i was younger, i had never heard of autism. We had down syndrome kids, and special needs kids, but no autistic kids. Could it possibly be heavy metal poisoning? My next child will not be vaccinated.

vaxtruth.org
Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 AM   #86
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Oh, saints preserve us. That old chestnut again.

The study that linked vaccines to autism was exposed last year as a fraud. The data was proven to have been falsified. Thanks to one man's deliberate fraud, cases of measles in both Britain and the UK went up sharply. Oddly enough, according to your source, the equally sharp decline in the number of children receiving the vaccine coincided with a rise in instances of autism.

In other words, you're prepared to believe that the vaccine causes autism even though more children developed autism when the number of children receiving the vaccine dropped.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #87
Racenut
~~~~~~~~~~

Stunt Dirt Bike Champion

Quote:
Autism?? 1 in 88? 1 in 29? When i was younger, i had never heard of autism. We had down syndrome kids, and special needs kids, but no autistic kids. Could it possibly be heavy metal poisoning? My next child will not be vaccinated.

vaxtruth.org
The biggest cause for this is that the diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders has grown to encompass a wide range of symptoms. It's not that more kids are autistic, it's just that now doctors have tests and a diagnosis for kids that used to just be called retarded, delayed or just a lil different depending on the severity of the symptoms.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #88
GrAfFiX2
~Szexi Szuka~

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
Oh, saints preserve us. That old chestnut again.

The study that linked vaccines to autism was exposed last year as a fraud. The data was proven to have been falsified.
And yet some parents can put their fingero on week that it set in. Normally the time of vaccines. I bet you vaccince companies pay for the research and studies to conclude that their product had nothing to do with this.

Dr. Marys Monkey!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #89
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Research and studies? Graf, there was no research or study into this. The only research into this phenomenon was a deliberate fraud. The guy behind it deliberately lied. The rest is just plain statistics: as a result of this scaremongering story, many parents refused to allow their children to be vaccinated -- do you suppose that statistic was invented by the pharmaceutical industry? And this had no effect on the number of cases of autism being diagnosed, which, as you yourself admit, actually rose.

Fewer children being vaccinated. More children being diagnosed with autism.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #90
GrAfFiX2
~Szexi Szuka~

Dr Burzynski's work on cancer treatment

http://www.burzynskiclinic.com/
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #91
CJSTora
Assholicious

Asteroids Champion Breakout Champion Moon Lander Champion Mini Racer Champion BMX Tricks Champion

I sincerely hope nobody thinks they're going to talk some sense into this paranoid freak...

If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
- Albert Einstein

I heart stem cell research
CJSTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #92
rewboss
Elite Moderator

Ah yes, Stanislaw Burzynski, the Polish doctor who claims amazing results which nobody else has been able to reproduce despite their best efforts, extorts hundreds of thousands of dollars from seriously ill people and their families with nothing at all to show for his efforts (charging $500 per pill that can be got elsewhere at a fraction of the cost despite his claims that it's a clinical trial), and threatens anyone and everyone who dares criticize his methods with legal action. I believe he is currently being sued by one of his patients for negligence, negligent misrepresentation, fraud, deceptive trade and conspiracy.

You're right, CJ. Anyone who would put their trust in an obvious crook of this type is beyond redemption.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #93
CJSTora
Assholicious

Asteroids Champion Breakout Champion Moon Lander Champion Mini Racer Champion BMX Tricks Champion

I'm sure Graf will tell you that he's not a crook, but rather a persecuted visionary, being greatly and unfairly maligned by "big pharma" (and the Bilderberg Group and the Rockefellers and the Illluminati and Oscar the Grouch and the rest of the New World Order shadow government).

If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.
- Albert Einstein

Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #94
CJSTora
Assholicious

(Those are all the same claims being made of anti-vax clown Andrew Wakefield by his American suckers ... er, "supporters", by the way)

- Albert Einstein

Old 04-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #95
McNultysGirl
A fluffing piece of shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSTora View Post
I'm sure Graf will tell you that he's not a crook, but rather a persecuted visionary, being greatly and unfairly maligned by "big pharma" (and the Bilderberg Group and the Rockefellers and the Illluminati and Oscar the Grouch and the rest of the New World Order shadow government).
Oscar the Grouch is secretly running America. He also wrote the Da Vinci Code (which is completely based on fact, he did all the research), killed Elvis, Marilyn, and JFK single handily, and is personally responsible for addicting the world to anti-depressants, which he invented since he is such a grouch.

McNultysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #96
Roco-UK
B.S.'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
Well, the conspiracy theory is that drugs companies have a vested interest in making sure that disease is not actually cured -- as one of the baddies in Doctor Who put it, "Why sell a single cure when I can sell a hundred palliatives?"
as a ex engineer med research what do I know apart from rewboss
has hit the nail on the head , the cure or profit who wins ?

Last edited by rewboss; 08-24-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Fixed broken code
Roco-UK is offline   Reply With Quote