Van's B.S. Board!  

Go Back   Van's B.S. Board! > General B.S. > The Steam Room

Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Default University of Phoenix

Its looking like Case is holding up my husband from graduating in May because he STILL doesn't have his bachelors.

U of P told him to start classes and that everything from his associates will transfer. Well, a lot didn't. My husband had to take 3 other classes at $1,200 each and he tested out of 4. U of P also gave him credit for some safety classes he was teaching and put that towards some sort of communication credits he needed.

My husbands class graduated from U of P in June of '06, minus about 12 people because of credit transfer issues.

In trying to keep this short, U of P kept saying, "One more class but lets see if you can test out of it." He took the last test and yet they come back with "you are 7 credits short. We have a test you can take but that won't happen until June of '08. If you want, in January you can give us $1,200 and take class such and such."

He has no interest in taking one class on top of his Masters work. Its just too much. He did that when he started his Masters. For the first 4 months he was taking a class at U of P and Case.

My husband contacted someone at case and she told him, "I didn't catch that you were not done with your Bachelors, maybe the review committee for graduation won't either."

Well, they caught it. My husbands graduation is on hold pending his batchelors. He called his contact back at Case and she said the options are:
1) Send U of P a transfer from Case with 30 credits that they can accept for the 7 he is short of. That is, if they will take Master credits for Bachelors degree. She doesn't see why they wouldn't. If not, on to numbers two and three.

2) Take a GMAT and forget about U of P.

3) Take the GMAT and June test out of the last class at U of P and get the Batchelors he has worked hard for an paid for.

My husband was told there is a class action law suit going on in Pittsburgh for shady admission practices. He is going to look that up and if what happened there is what is going on with him, he is going to try and use that as leverage. Not threaten a law suit but say enough to make them fix this issue ASAP.

Chuck that went to U of P with him is in worse shape. Chuck had to go back to U of P for one full year. He still didn't graduate. He has "one more class"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStora
Dump #2 is well underway. Normally, from my apartment window
RelocatedWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
darth meowth
Prince of Cats

Simon Champion Pacman Champion Cone Crazy 2 Champion Surf's Up Champion Tennis Challenge Champion
Home Run Champion Girl Power Champion
Default Re: University of Phoenix

Next time I drive by the University of Phoenix campus when I am in... um... Phoenix, I shall give them a one-finger salute in your man's honor.

I would do the same thing when I drive by University of Phoenix Stadium... but there would probably be some insane tailgaters outside even on a Tuesday who would think I am doing it to them and chase me down and stuff me in their hibachi. Those Cardinals fans are nuts.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Minnie
B.S. Veteran

I'd be furious if I were you. Graduate classes are so expensive. I think some of this stuff is such a racket for colleges to suck more money out of people.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
Racenut
~~~~~~~~~~

Stunt Dirt Bike Champion

Sure makes those internet degrees seem worth it. $300 for a Masters based on "work experience"

Good luck working it all out with the schools.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Pavlov's Dog
I ain't no punk bitch

Location: "Left my home in Detroit and headed for the Frisco Bay"

I believe Mr. Relo is getting his bachelors from University of Pheonix and his Masters from Case Western Reserve. Case Western Reserve is not an internet school, but a well respected university.

I'm not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I've seen what it can do to skyscrapers.-William H. Gascoyne
Pavlov's Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Racenut
~~~~~~~~~~

Stunt Dirt Bike Champion

Yeah, I know Case is a real school. I was just saying that it sounded like a pain in the ass dealing with all the credits and all that vs. the ease of a credit card number and a bogus diploma to hang on your wall. I was being a smartass, but I don't have a degree in that either, so I probably did it wrong
Old 11-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
Chicago Faucet
The March Hare.

I know where that location of University of Phoenix is in Pittsburgh. It's right on the parkway, near Ikea. When I lived in Pittsburgh, my office was in the same office park as their building.

I don't know if it's just Pittsburgh, but the moment you go below college-level education institutions there, you start hitting some shady stuff.

For example, my own experience. Way back in 2000, I decided to get my MCSE, which stands for Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (which gives me the idea of a thread that I should start, but I digress). That is a series of classes, usually nine, that is taught at most Technical Schools.

Before I decided on the Pittsburgh Technical Institute, I shopped around the different local schools that were offering this MCSE series of classes. I went to one other school, I think called Baird, maybe? But it won't matter what it was called, as you will see in a minute.

PTI was a thousand dollars cheaper that Baird, closer to me than Baird, and had a longer history of giving good educations. I chose PTI and enrolled with them. A week later I get a phone call from the lady at Baird.

"So, have you decided yet?"
"Uh, yes, actually. I'm going to PTI."
"Why PTI?", in a very accusing manner.
"Because it's cheaper, closer, and has a longer reputation."
*sounds of the rustling of paper through the telephone.*
"You know, that's funny. Here's an article right here in yesterday's paper talking about how PTI isn't solvent. Some government agency is auditing their books."

What? She is actually calling me to get me to sign up with Baird, either by intimidating me, or making me feel foolish?

Moral of the story. I start classes at PTI, which are supposed to be nine classes, over nine months. About a third of the way through, our class is suddenly swamped with all these new students. I start talking to them. They all tell me the same story. The prior week, they showed up for class at Baird, only to find the doors locked and lights turned off, and all the phones disabled. I don't know if they ever got any of their money back, but PTI took them in.

But, all was not happy with PTI either. That nine-month course was stretched out to 2 1/2 years, due to schedule conflicts, content changes, and missing instructors.

Last edited by Chicago Faucet; 11-14-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Chicago Faucet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
rachem
twisttilsomethingbreaks

Tetris Champion

U of P doesn't have a good reputation and I've heard of stuff like this happening before. Hopefully they accept Case's classes, they certainly should. Was he a business major? I took quite a few grad school classes and they counted towards my undergraduate degree. Of course it was the same school so there wasn't much of a problem.

Then comes the day
Staring at myself I turn to question me
I wonder do I want the simple, simple life that I once lived in well
Oh things were quiet then
In a way they were the better days
rachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
JoJoJoey
yada yada yada

Sorry this is happening to Mr. Relo. It royally sucks.
JoJoJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
I believe Mr. Relo is getting his bachelors from University of Pheonix and his Masters from Case Western Reserve. Case Western Reserve is not an internet school, but a well respected university.
That is correct.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #11
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachem View Post
U of P doesn't have a good reputation and I've heard of stuff like this happening before. Hopefully they accept Case's classes, they certainly should. Was he a business major? I took quite a few grad school classes and they counted towards my undergraduate degree. Of course it was the same school so there wasn't much of a problem.
Three people where my husband works went to U of P with no troubles. His boss is the one that pushed him towards U of P. And my husband checked into some other bachelors programs but the class schedule wouldn't have worked well with work.

At U of P he worked on his Bachelors of Business Management.
At Case he is going for his Executive Master of Business Administration.
Nice little elite group and Case is sure to kiss the EMBA's butts.

Last night he told me that Case is trying to contact U of P but so far there are no phone calls being returned.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2007, 07:08 AM   #12
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

U of P said they will not accept any of his Masters credits towards his bachelors, "that is just not how we work."

So, for him to graduate at Case, he has to take the GMAT. But the good news is, he can flunk the GMAT and Case will let him graduate. Im sure he won't but Case is going to make sure he graduates.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #13
Opie
Designated E.L.F

Its good to know Case has his back. I've heard of plenty of schools who could care less about the students as long as they are enrolled and paying.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #14
RelocatedWitness
Dreamboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Its good to know Case has his back. I've heard of plenty of schools who could care less about the students as long as they are enrolled and paying.
That would be UofP. Case wants to keep their numbers up by saying, "X amount of people enrolled and they all graduated."

Quote: